9/12/2007

To sir, with Love

Watching TV here is very interesting because TV service and program in US are different from Japanese one. What I found so far is three points.

First, the mainstream of broadcasting system is different. Terrestrial television (free TV) is dominant in Japan, but cable TV (CATV) is in US. Although satellite and CATV broadcasting become popular recently in Japan, the majority mainly watch terrestrial television with no charge. If you have a TV set and connect it to an antenna, you can enjoy programs immediately (to be precise, only NHK, quasi-national broadcaster, collects viewing fee, but anyway you can watch their program on your TV set weather you pay or not). But, here, we cannot watch anything without subscribing CATV service with monthly charge.

Second, the number of channels offered is quite different. In Japan, most people generally watch seven free TV channels. On the contrary, majority of American TV viewers seem enjoy far much more channels. For example, Patriot Media's Full Basic I use now has nearly one hundred channels. This package is second cheapest one among their service line. If I pay more, I can enjoy two or three hundreds.

Third, because of the diversity of channels, viewers in US can enjoy various programs everyday. Such special channels as Food Network and Comedy Central can't be expected on Japanese free TV. Also, some channels are designed exclusively for Christianity, and others are for Spanish speakers. Even Princeton University has their local channel. This diversity of choice is very attractive to TV viewers.

But it is a irony that huge amount of channels offers the digital video recorder industry such as TiVo a business opportunity to gain customers who feel inconvenient to find their favorite programs from thousands of choices. Freedom of choice is sometimes the burden on consumers' decision making, as information processing theory insists.

As for me, I enjoy freedom of choosing TV programs so far. On TCM (Turner Classic Movies), I found a good old movie, To sir, with Love. According to Wikipedia, this movie, released in 1967, is "a British film starring Sidney Poitier that deals with social issues, especially racism, in an inner city school." I like the story about an idealistic teacher because I am also a teacher (but I don't hope to be in his position). This movie seems a classic one in this genre.

Not only the plot, but also schoolgirls' Swinging London fashion is fascinating. But most attractive part in this movie is its title song "To Sir, with Love", sung by Lulu. This is the main point I want say on this post.


To Sir, With Love - Lulu

Those schoolgirl days of telling tales and biting nails are gone
But in my mind I know they will still live on and on
But how do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume?
It isn't easy, but I'll try

If you wanted the sky I would write across the sky in letters
That would soar a thousand feet high 'To Sir, With Love'

The time has come for closing books and long last looks must end
And as I leave I know that I am leaving my best friend
A friend who taught me right from wrong and weak from strong
That's a lot to learn, but what can I give you in return?

If you wanted the moon I would try to make a start
But I would rather you let me give my heart 'To Sir, With Love'

No comments: